First they defaced our landmarks, now they want to tear them down.
10/07/19: The U.S. Supreme Court has DENIED Stahl’s petition for writ of certiorari seeking permission to appeal the case to the nation’s highest court. Following the NYS Court of Appeals’ denial to appeal the case in December 2018, this route was the last legal option available to Stahl in its years-long battle to demolish and develop the City & Suburban Homes First Avenue Estate site.
Like the groundbreaking Penn Central case of 1978, this legal victory affirms the City’s right to regulate landmark-designated properties as a benefit to “all New York citizens… and quality of life in the city as a whole.”
2/6/14: Download the most recent response from Stahl York Avenue.
1/9/14: Download correspondence from this winter between Stahl York Avenue and the Landmarks Preservation Commission.
11/12/13: Download yet another submission from Stahl York Avenue, in response to questions posed by the Landmarks Preservation Commission at the October public meeting.
10/10/13: Download the latest submission from Stahl York Avenue, in advance of a public meeting on Tuesday, October 29th.
2/21/13: Download Stahl York Avenue’s response to questions from the Landmarks Preservation Commission following last year’s hearing.
10/22/12: Download latest submission to the Landmarks Preservation Commission from Stahl York Avenue Co., LLC., including:
- Kramer Levin Letter
- Wolpert Letter
- 2012 Comparative Economic Feasibility Study
- Gleeds New Elevator Scheme
- Gleeds Market Rehab Scheme
7/1/11: Download the finalized submission to the Landmarks Preservation Commission.
Learn more about our ongoing fight to save these landmark buildings:
- Responding to Misleading Arguments Against Local Landmark Laws by David Brown, National Trust for Historic Preservation, July 25, 2016.
- New York City’s Landmarks Commission Wins Important Takings Lawsuit by Will Cook, National Trust for Historic Preservation, March 29, 2016.
- Judge Rules Against Stahl in UES Demolition Case Against Landmarks Commission by Terence Cullen. Commercial Observer, January 14, 2016.
- Judge Rules Against Stahl in UES Landmarks Hardship Case by Evan Bindelglass. Curbed, January 14, 2016.
- Two Upper East Side tenement buildings will keep their landmark status, to developer’s and owner’s dismay by Barbara Ross. New York Daily News, January 12, 2016.
- Landlord Sues for Permission to Raze Landmarked Buildings by Jeremiah Budin. Curbed, September 26, 2014.
- Stahl Organization Sues Over Landmark Rentals by Adam Pincus. The Real Deal, September 25, 2014.
- A Cautious Victory for Yorkville Tenants by Megan Finnegan Bungeroth & Omar Crespo. Our Town, May 28, 2014.
- Landmarks Still Won’t Let Developer Raze UES Tenements by Staff. Curbed, May 21, 2014.
- Landmarks Denies Developer’s Upper East Side Demolition Plans by Al Barbarino. Commercial Observer, May 21, 2014.
- Landmarks Panel Votes to Protect 2 Upper East Side Tenements by Matt A.V. Chaban. New York Times, May 20, 2014.
- LPC Says Landlord Warehoused Units in Rejecting Demolition Bid by Lindsay Armstrong. DNAinfo, May 20, 2014.
- Landmark Status Could Block Luxury Tower Plans at Upper East Side Site by Matt A.V. Chaban. New York Times, May 20, 2014.
- UES Building Caught in Landmarks Fight Allowed to Deteriorate, Tenants Say by Lindsay Armstrong. DNAInfo, March 10, 2014.
- Landmarks Commission Slams Landlord’s Hardship Application by Jeremiah Budin. Curbed, October 30, 2013.
- Stahl’s Plan to Demolish a Landmark Might be Falling Apart by Jeremiah Budin. Curbed, June 12, 2013.
- UES Landlord and Preservation Group to Meet Before LPC Over Apartment Demolitions by Billy Gray. Commercial Observer, June 11, 2013.
- Fate of 2 historic UES tenements weighed by Matt Chaban. Crain’s, June 10, 2013.
- Landlord Seeks Demolition, Argues Buildings Aren’t Profitable by Hana R. Alberts. Curbed, June 10, 2013.
- Tenants fight Stahl plans to demolish their homes by Sarah Trefethen. Real Estate Weekly, February 9, 2012.
- Upper East Side Landlord’s $600 Rent Claim Disputed by Amy Zimmer. DNAinfo, January 24, 2012.
- New Spat Over Upper East Side Rent by Laura Kusisto. Wall Street Journal, January 24, 2012.
- Owner Of UES Landmarks Seeks Permission To Tear Them Down by Rebecca Spitz. New York 1, January 7, 2012.
- Landmarks Are Called a Hardship, Setting Off a Fight by Joseph Berger. The New York Times, April 20, 2011.
- York Ave. Tenants Fight Plan to “De-landmark” Building by Megan Finnegan. Our Town, April 13, 2011.
- Tenants Battle Landlord Over Fate of Landmarked Upper East Side Buildings by Amy Zimmer. DNAInfo, April 13, 2011.
- Court Upholds Landmark Status of City and Suburban First Avenue Estates by Robin Pogrebin. New York Times, June 25, 2010.
- For a Landmark Un-landmarked, a Bid to Undo the Undoing by Jake Mooney. New York Times, November 12, 2006.