119 East 78th Street
Upper East Side Historic District
A residence built in 1871, later altered in 1936 by Harvey Stevenson &
Eastman Studds in the neo-Classical style. Application is to alter the areaway
and enlarge a door.
CB8 Hearing: 1/14/13 (Front Elevation Approved, Areaway Extension Disapproved)
LPC Hearing: 1/22/13 (Approved)
FRIENDS Testimony: While the removal of the existing high fence, the enlargement of the service door, and the installation of new grilles are departures from the historic 1936 design of 119 East 78th Street, the Preservation Committee at FRIENDS found them to be appropriate changes and improvements over what is currently in place. Although our committee regrets the intrusion into public sidewalk space, this areaway projects no farther than its neighbors. FRIENDS therefore supports Commission approval of this application.